The other pages in this section give you information about potential health problems - but let's begin with a few tips to help you to live a healthy lifestyle!
Eating a balanced diet is one of the best ways to start living a healthy lifestyle.
Eating a load of junk food everyday (even if you do exercise) can still harm your body. A balanced diet will help keep you fit and your weight at a healthy level. You don’t have to give up all your favourite foods in order to have a healthy diet; you just need to have a sensible balance of food types.
Here are a few top tips to make ensure that you're having a good mix of foods:
- eat at least five portions of fruit and vegetables every day
- substitute oily fish like mackerel or salmon or tuna for meat when you can
- try low-fat cheese, milk and yoghurt
- try and cut down your number of high fat or high sugar snacks and drinks
- drink plenty of water
- try to eat less salt
- don’t skip breakfast
There's loads of help and advice available on healthy eating:
Yheart from the British Heart Foundation
Healthy living from the British Nutrition Association
Livewell from NHS Choices
If you haven't exercised for ages you need to take it slowly and build up to a level that will keep you fit. Try to get active every day and increase the amount you do.
NHS Choices has some great tips to get you started.
If you are looking for sports activities, find out what’s happening in Barnsley:
- Information on local activities and clubs in Barnsley can be found at www.thingstodoin.org.uk – opt for the 13 plus pages.
- Your nearest leisure centre or pool – managed in Barnsley by Barnsley Premier Leisure
- Barnsley FC offer a wide range of Football in the Community activities
Intensive Chemistry A Level Revision Master Class
Study with the Reds
Open Evening for all Engineering Courses
Apply to Barnsley College
Ambition Barnsley event
Community Drop in Centres
Doncaster College Open Day events
Dearne Valley College Open Evenings
Taster days - Northern Racing College
Apprenticeships, Training & Jobs